Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Collaboration?

Do you ever wonder how teachers communicated with each in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's?  I was thinking today, while participating in #edchat discussion about faculty meetings, that teachers during my education how did they collaborate.  Did they have to wait for state convention or county wide professional development?  I wonder if my fourth grade teacher ever spoke to another teacher in a different community about teaching strategies.  Did she ever reach out to find a strategy that could be more affective with teaching reading rather than whole language approach?  Did my principal communicate with other educational leaders about research based strategies that were sweeping the nation?  It is kind of amazing to think I can get ideas from people in other states or even countries by simply asking a question on twitter.  I am able to create a document that I can share with others through google.  I can take notes at meeting with evernote and share with those not there.  We can use dropbox to exchange materials with one another.  These are a few of the items that are now at our disposal and they do not cost a thing. 

How is that we as a nation are falling behind, when we as a nation are so much more connected?  Why do we seem to be slipping down the ranking system of comparing us to other countries?  We are able to share our ideas and strategies that are affective, but we seem hesitant to take the steps necessary to be affective in our jobs.  I will continue to use these resources and continue to reach out to others when I need information.  I will continue to do whatever is in my control to help improve the education of students under my watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment